Director of Membership Engagement
The San Francisco Bay Area ISOC Chapter serves California, including the Bay Area and Silicon Valley, by promoting the core values of the Internet Society. Through its work, the Chapter promotes open development, evolution and access to the Internet for those in its geographical region and beyond. With nearly 2,000 members, the Chapter is one of the world’s largest. As a not-for-profit 501(c) (3) entity, the SF Bay-Area ISOC Chapter’s work is funded entirely by donations, sponsorships and grants and we rely on volunteers to carry out our day-to-day activities.
The San Francisco-Bay Area Internet Society Chapter’s Director of Membership Engagement must reside in the Bay Area. This crucial role involves outreach work to ensure that the membership is aware of all of the Chapter’s activities and fully engaged in the chapter’s work.
Activities include communicating Chapter updates, social media management, event planning, engaging with members through events, managing the membership database and managing the Chapter’s inbox.
The Director of Membership Engagement works closely with the rest of the Board in order to promote the Chapter’s mission and goals.
Role Responsibilities include:
- Contribute to monthly Board meetings including:
- Informing the Board of membership statistics.
- Giving an overview of membership trends on social media platforms.
- Suggestions for increasing engagement with members and outreach to potential members.
- Manage the membership database (approving membership requests etc).
- Receive and respond to inquiries from members, sponsors and potential members.
- Take an active role in Chapter event planning and execution.
- Draft membership communication materials, including regular Chapter Update newsletters and other marketing materials as required.
- Work with the Chair, Vice Chair and rest of the Board to ensure that members are supported and informed about chapter updates
- Contribute to the work of the Chapter Working Groups.
- Working closely with the Chair and rest of the Board to administer the mission and vision of SFBayISOC Chapter and ISOC in California and beyond.
- Support the Chapter’s business development initiatives to achieve continued sustainability, growth and stability for the Chapter and its Membership while working in close collaboration with the SFBayISOC Chair, Board and Community.
- Membership of the SF-Bay Area Chapter | Join.
- Some knowledge of, experience and skills related to the Internet ecosphere. This may include: Technology, Network Infrastructure, DNS, Policies, Standards, Governance etc.
- Advocacy for an Open Internet, freedom and equal access.
- 2 hours a week commitment for a minimum of one year.
- Attend (virtual) monthly Board Meetings.
- Excellent communication skills and a team player.
Please note there is no financial commitment for Board members.
Why Join the Board
- Contribute at a high level to furthering the Chapter goals and goals of the Internet Society and help to reinforce global Internet freedoms, access, security and policy development.
- Play an active role in shaping the activities and mission of your local Chapter in your local community.
- Build your leadership skills and gain valuable experience in multistakeholder community development.
- Expand your network and meet inspiring people working in the local, regional and global Internet ecosphere.
If you think you’ve got what it takes to join the Board, or have any questions about the role, please get in touch.
Posted on December 16, 2016.