Open Board Positions
The Internet Society engages in a wide range of Internet issues, including policy, governance, technology, and development, and has 132 Chapters around the world. The San Francisco Bay Area Internet Society Chapter focuses on Internet access issues, diversity, and digital inclusion in California.
As a nonprofit 501(c)(3) entity, the SF Bay Area ISOC Chapter’s work is funded entirely by donations, sponsorships and grants and we rely on volunteers to carry out our day-to-day activities. We are now accepting applications for the upcoming 2019-2021 term of SF Bay ISOC’s Board.
Apply now to join a team of dedicated professionals committed to the common goal of bridging the digital divide.
Our mission is simple: The Internet is for Everyone.
Applications are due by Monday 19 November 11:59 PM PDT.
How to Apply
Check out the open positions and requirements below and then contact us to let us know which position you are interested in.
- Member of the Board/Vice President
Work closely with the President and rest of the Board to administer the Chapter’s mission and vision. Find out more.
- Member of the Board/Secretary
Facilitate monthly and ad-hoc Board meetings and supporting the President with keeping accurate records. Find out more.
- Member of the Board/Director of Events
Plan and curate events, meetups and conferences that are of interest to the Chapter members. Find out more.
- Member of the Board/Director of Fundraising
Secure sponsorships, corporate memberships and establish multi-year partnerships with local organizations. Find out more.
- Member of the Board/Academic Liaison
Engagement with students, faculty and researchers and outreach to the Internet Leaders of tomorrow. Find out more.
- Member of the Board
Tell us what you bring to the table and we’ll find the right place for your expertise. We’re looking for people with social media and marketing skills, training and workshop facilitation skills, event management skills, policy experts, and security experts.
The San Francisco Bay Area Internet Society Chapter’s Board Members work closely with the rest of the team in order to promote the Chapter’s mission and goals. Aside from a Board Member’s specific area of expertise and focus, Board Members contribute to Board and Chapter projects, work on Board and Chapter development and serve on Board committees as necessary.
- Must be a member of the SF Bay Area ISOC Chapter – it’s free to join.
- While Chapter membership is open to all, Board members must be based in the Bay Area for logistical purposes.
- Passionate about the open Internet, online freedoms, and access for all.
- Commit to serve for an initial two year term.
- Commit to attend a one hour (virtual) Board meeting each month and commit around 2-3 hours per week to chapter activities.
- Ability to use online collaboration tools including G-Drive and Zoom Conferencing.
- Excellent communication skills and a team player.
- Please note there is NO financial or fundraising commitment for Board members.
- Previous nonprofit board experience and/or
- Knowledge of/experience with Internet technologies, networking, IoT, standards development, Internet governance, ICANN, the Internet Society, IETF, IAB or the domain name system would be advantageous and/or
- Extensive professional network within the Bay Area/Silicon Valley tech companies for collaboration purposes.
Why Join the Board
- Contribute to furthering the Chapter goals and goals of the Internet Society and help to reinforce global Internet freedoms, access, security and policy development.
- Play an active role in shaping the activities and mission of your local Chapter in your local community.
- Build your leadership skills and gain valuable experience in multi-stakeholder community development.
- Expand your network and meet inspiring people working in the local, regional and global Internet ecosphere.
- Get to attend cool local, national and international events to represent the Chapter.
Find out more about the Election Process here.