Around 20 people attended the ICANN59 Meeting Readout Webinar on July 18, 2017. Hosted by ICANN’s Chris Mondini, Vice President, Global Business Engagement, and Joe Catapano, Stakeholder Engagement Program Manager, North America, attendees were given a high level overview of the key policy discussions that took place at the recent ICANN59 Policy Meeting (Johannesburg, June 26-29, 2017).
Chris and Joe talked about many topics including:
- The European Union (EU) General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and its impact at ICANN.
- The new generic Top Level Domain (gTLD) program and the next generation Registration Directory Service (RDS)
- The Government Advisory Committee (GAC) session on 2-character country codes as second level domains
- The GAC session on human rights and international law
- The ICANN Security and Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC) and its workshop on DNSSEC.
- The Key Signing Key (KSK) rollover
- What’s happened since the IANA Stewardship Transition
- Updates from the Cross Community Working Group (CCWG) on Enhancing ICANN Accountability.
- ICANN’s ‘Empowered Community’
- News and updates from the At-Large community (the chapter is part of this stakeholder group).
The chapter’s Advisor to the Board and Primary NARALO Representative Leah Symekher also gave an account of her first ICANN Meeting.
The session recording is available here.
The slides are available below: