The San Francisco Bay Area ISOC Chapter serves California, including the Bay Area and Silicon Valley, by promoting the core values of the Internet Society. Through its work, the Chapter promotes open development, evolution and access to the Internet for those in its geographical region and beyond. With over 2,000 members, the Chapter is one of the world’s largest. As a not-for-profit 501 (c) 3 entity, the SF Bay-Area ISOC Chapter’s work is funded entirely by donations, sponsorships and grants and we rely on volunteers to carry out our day-to-day activities.
- Contribute to furthering the Chapter goals and goals of the Internet Society and help to reinforce global Internet freedoms, access, security and policy development.
- Play an active role in shaping the activities and mission of the Chapter.
- Build your leadership skills and gain valuable experience in multistakeholder community development.
- Expand your network and meet inspiring people working in the local, regional and global Internet ecosphere.
- You are a member of the SF-Bay Area Chapter | Join.
- Depending on the role, we require at least a 1-2 hour/week commitment for a minimum of a year.
- At least two years experience in your chosen field.
- While most volunteer work is done remotely, residing in the PST timezone is highly desirable.
- Some knowledge, experience, skills of the Internet sphere including any of the following: Internet technologies, network infrastructure, DNS, policies, standards, Internet governance, security, tech for good, access provision, online freedoms, net neutrality etc.
- An interest in and willingness to advocate for an open Internet, Internet freedoms and equal access.
- Professional, committed to the cause and with excellent communication skills and ability to work as team player.
- Board Positions (Bay Area Only) | see open Board positions
- Working Group Members | contact us if you’d like to join one of our Working Groups
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Social Media Management
- Graphic Design
- Academic Outreach
- Event Management (Bay Area only)
- Subject Matter advisors (IoT, Policy, Security)
Ad-hoc and Other Opportunities
If you have an expertise not listed above that you think could benefit the chapter please get in touch with us. We are always open to new and innovative projects and ideas.